Monday, September 24, 2012

Rule #5: Keep your dear teacher happy!

Last Saturday I had the privilege to attend a FREE conference for Whole Brain Teaching.  Have I mentioned before how much I rely on WBT techniques to help me in my classroom?  Well in case I haven't, I LOVE Whole Brain Teaching! I may not be the best at it yet, but I will continue to work everyday toward the goal of being an inspiring WBT teacher.


While attending this conference we had break out sessions by grade levels.  My group was led by Deb Weigel.  She was quite the motivator for really understanding rule #5: Keep Your Dear Teacher Happy.  Rule #5 really isn't about me, but about the kids.  If I see them engaged and happy and learning then I am happy.  The only way to break rule #5 is when kids are not actively engaged in their own learning.

I went back to school Monday with a renewed purpose; to keep my kids actively engaged.

This is what we did:



 Yes, that's right, we learned how to do Subtraction!

We had big gestures to remind us that subtraction means you "Take it away."

The power pix help me to remember what concepts I am working on.  Power Pix also help to keep things simple!



Simple means the kids can turn and tell their neighbor all about subtraction.  Simple means they can explain it and if they can explain it then they can do it.  I enjoy walking around and listening to them as they are teaching their neighbors.  This is my assessment as to who is hearing me and remembering what my words are.  Which means they are closer to understanding.







Which brings me to the next key component of teaching the Whole Brain Way

Mirrors
When I call out "mirrors", the kids reply "mirror" and they hold their hands up like L's to frame their faces.  Then we do the mirror check, their hand should do what mine do, (this is a favorite little activity of mine) it is great for doing a quick little cross lateral too!  Then I start to teach the concept, quickly, with few words.  I repeat myself a few times doing the gestures.  The kids should be doing what I'm doing not saying what I'm saying because mirrors don't talk. (Haha, that one always gets them.) 

Then we move to "mirrors and words."  Then they are repeating what I am saying while mimicking what I am doing.  We do this for just a quick minute or so.

Finally, they move on to teach your neighbor, where they should turn fully to face their neighbor and then do the gestures while repeating what I had said.  This is where I will decide if we need to practice again or not.  If I hear the majority of the group saying what I want to hear then we can move on.  I call them back with "Hands and Eyes" and they turn back to me, repeating "Hands and Eyes."

The final activity is the time to work as a whole group and do some hands on subtraction.  This is my way of seeing who can follow along.  I can also usually get a little glimpse of who is probably able to venture out on their own.

All in all, we had a great week and they were exceptional at following rule #5 as well as astounding at understanding the concept of subtraction!!

As a matter of fact, one little guy loved subtraction so much he included it in the birthday card he made for me!


This is what I live for, this is why I teach!

Don't forget, if you want more information on Whole Brain Teaching, please visit the WEBSITE.  All of these awesome classroom management and teaching techniques can be yours for FREE!!

Until next time.....


Deanna




5 comments:

  1. I love rule number 5, too. I think my sixth graders appreciate the rule as well. I know I teach better when I am happy, and the kids learn better when I teach well. I tell them this, and it makes sense to them. I love all the rules. I loved the button, and would love to attend a WBT conference one day. I need to work on teaching less and giving the students more time to discuss. There is so much material to cover and such little time to teach all of it. Thanks for your post.
    I joined your blog. Please follow mine at sprinkleliciousthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I completely understand the pressure to teach as much as we can but we really do need to give them time to "get it."

      Delete
  2. Great post! Check the Conference schedule! There's a new one posted for May 18th in Tehachipi, CA! Would love to see you there!
    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I am putting that on my calendar. Hopefully I'll make it.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting :) Let me know what you think!
Deanna