Friday, June 22, 2012

Daily 5

It all started with pinterest.  You all know pinterest right?  Pinterest is a wonderful (time sucking bandit) place on the internet where you can find all kinds of great ideas.  Well, I kept seeing all these things for daily 5.  I had no clue as to what it was, how it worked, or what it involved.  Not only that, but I had no idea how purposeful it actually was.  Well, pinterest led me to blogs.  I had heard of blogging, but did not realize that it would open an entirely new world for me as a teacher. Of course, as I kept finding more and more blogs, I kept seeing Daily 5. 

I spent the end of my school year feeling like I had let my students down because I didn't feel as though I was effective in creating and encouraging literacy.  I made a little goal for myself to become a better literacy teacher.  Well that led to seeing bloggers gearing up for a Daily 5 book study.  I really do try to listen when God is talking to me, but sometimes it takes me awhile to process.



Lory's Page: Daily 5 (You will have to visit Lory's page to get the blog hop)
Seusstastic Classroom Inspirations (I've posted the blog hop for this study at the end.)

Why Daily 5?

Let me begin by saying I am following two separate book studies focused on the Daily 5 by Gail Boushey & Joan Moser, otherwise known as "the sisters."   Due to the fact that I am still very new to blogging, I didn't realize they were separate until yesterday! (gasp)  Oh well, I figure the more information the better.  

After reading the Daily 5 I have decided this has to be for me!  I have tried to create centers that are purposeful but also kid managed, not teacher managed. I have tried to create independence in my classroom.  I have tried to give kids choices of what they can do and what order to do them in.  I have also tried to create a love for reading by giving kids books they are successful at reading, but all of mine looked completely different than what the sisters describe.

I know kids can be successful at this because the little bit I did actually showed me kids reading, over and over again and they were excited to come and read to me!  

This is why I know this will work for me:

  1. My students all had a book box on their desk.  The books in it were not chosen for them, but instead they were our series phonics readers.  I encouraged (made) them read the first book to me and then let them read each book on their own, to their neighbor, or to me.  It amazed me that most children would not go to the next book until they mastered the first one.  They did not just sit at their desks and "read" all they books without reading them.  They were so excited to bring me the book they read and read it to me to show off  their skills!  SO, if they can do this with poorly chosen books, then I can only imagine what they will be able to do with good fit books.
  2. They actually did very well when I would encourage (make) them read to their neighbor to practice their fluency (give me more time to do something with someone.)  The noise level was manageable.  I imagine what it will look like when I begin the year building their stamina for reading with others.
  3. They loved word work!  I have stamps to write it/stamp it, (you can check that out  here: Mel D. at Seusstastic Classroom Inspirations)  I know this will work.
  4. Choices!  I believe in giving kids choices.  My Nana always told me to give my kids choices.  Giving kids choices does not mean giving them free reign.  It means giving them things to choose from that I am good with what they choose.  This satisfies the control freak in me and their natural desire to choose for themselves.  Win-Win
I spent the last three weeks working summer school, the entire time I was busy envisioning my class next year, purposefully engaged in their education and becoming excited about literacy!

Until next time..................
Deanna


2 comments:

  1. Hi Deanna! I'm your newest follower. Only teachers can think about summer all year, to only think of the new school year during summer! haha! Good luck with starting up the Daily 5 in your classroom. I plan on using it too! I'd love it you checked out my blog too.

    Marissa
    WILD About First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa,
    Thanks for stopping by and isn't that the truth! When will it ever end? haha I will be happy to stop by, and good luck to you too on the Daily 5, I am looking forward to it.
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting :) Let me know what you think!
Deanna